The ramblings of Mrs. Smith as she shops, decorates and anything else she deems funny!







Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Redecorating the mantel, thrifty finds and true confessions from Mrs. Smith!!

Christmas decor is put away till next year which means putting the living room back together!

I went to Target the other day and scored 2 mirror chargers for $6 each (one square beveled and one round). Mr. Smith wanted to know what I planned to do with them. Typical man-at least-typical Mr. Smith-always needs to know what I am using something for. Typical woman-at least-typical Mrs. Smith-I don't know but I like it and I will figure it out when I get home! (Note to self-go shopping alone!) So I had 2 mirrors that I had for 2 days before I figured out what to do with them.

I went to the thrift store yesterday (it does get scary when the workers are greeting me like they see me all the time-well lately they have). I found this clock face-no clock parts-with the fleur de lis(love them) for $2! Did I know what I was going to do with it-NO! I picked up the silver bowl last week at another thrift store for $2-had no idea what I was going to use it for either. Until today.......the clouds parted and ..........well you get the idea that I finally figured out how to use all my new treasures...

I made a center piece on my coffee table with a candle I already had-the mirror fit perfectly in the center of the clock. I may add to it later but for a total of $10 not bad for a large center piece.
On to my mantel, okay I need to clear up a few things

1. I am not tall-5' 4 1/2" tall.
2. This fireplace and mantel are huge.
3. A ladder is required for me to decorate.
4. Ladders and I are not friends.
5. I am a klutz. I wasn't the cheerleader in the Smith household-Mr. Smith was. (That's a whole story itself).

So here is my newly decorated mantel that will stay like this for a few months(so I don't climb the ladder anytime soon).




Keeping the Parisian theme going.......

I found these molds at the thrift store and I paid $2 for 4. They were made in Germany(I know it's not from France). They remind me of mercury glass. So I thought they would add some glitter to the mantel with a tea light in them.


Enjoy and be careful on ladders! Oh no one ever said that decorating could be dangerous for your health so I should put out a warning.

WARNING: DECORATING COULD BE DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH-DISMEMBERMENT, SCRATCHED CORNEAS, BLEEDING, BRUISES, BROKEN BONES ETC.....

Side note....Sunday night I fell off a chair and hurt myself while taking stuff down from Christmas(I was not using a ladder-Mr. Smith got after me for that-he knows me too well). I am okay just have a BIG bruise.

1 comment:

  1. I love what you've done with your mantel (and centerpiece too)! Isn't that great how it all came together.
    p.s. I don't take my hubby shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing what you think!!! Your comments are a source of encouragement!