The ramblings of Mrs. Smith as she shops, decorates and anything else she deems funny!







Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Thrifty finds and a little history lesson

Yesterday was a rare day when the whole family wanted to go with me to some thrift stores. I picked up a few treasures. This cute little squirrel toothpick holder was too adorable to pass up for 25 cents. Made in Japan in 1978! Drama Queen wanted to put it in her room on her shelf-I had to wrestle it from her hands!!! At another thrift store, I found this plate for under $3. I bought it because I liked the white and black look. Plus the little picture was intriguing too. Maybe it's the historian in me but I love to come home and try to research my treasures. Where they came from, what they were used for, etc. I found out that this plate marked Sterling on the back is restaurant ware. What I also discovered was the Nassau Inn. It's in Princeton, NJ! It still is in business and with a rich history. I linked my title to the official website-very interesting! In 1776, the signers of the Declaration of Independence stayed there.

Then it makes me wonder-how did this plate get to Northern California from New Jersey? One of these days if I ever make it to Princeton-say Boy Wonder gets accepted there- I may just have to check out the restaurant!


So for under $4-I am a happy camper. Not only did I pick up some things that I liked but also have some history. It really doesn't take much to make me happy!!! Does anyone else like to research their treasures?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I love to research my treasures...and/or...imagine the "life" they have had...thanks for the history lesson, and me the history nerd loved the link on Nassau Inn...I need to make my way back East...Jodie, you and me lets go Thrift Store shopping in Boston!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing what you think!!! Your comments are a source of encouragement!